Sunday, December 23, 2012

The 32 Megabyte Mystery

Last Friday, I'm rummaging around for a spare Micro-SD card when I come across an old 32 megabyte card. 32 megs, I think, that's tiny! My Galaxy S3 has 256 times that. Heck, at 8,192 megs, that card is now considered small.

My next thought: oooh, I bet this card is filled with grainy photos that haven't seen the light of day in years. I got psyched -- what mysterious pictures could I possibly find on here.

I popped in the card and perused. Here's a smattering of what I found:

A happpy Dovid:

A tiny Chana:

Us:

More pictures of Us:

Some of Me, as this card was from Shira's Blackberry:

I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed. Nearly all these photos appear someone on the Blog already. And those that don't, just weren't taken that long ago. As an archaeological find, this was a bust. In fact, I've been mulling this over since Friday, and here's what I've figured out:

  • My gosh technology moves fast! 32 megabytes seems impossibly small, but just a few years ago, it was top of the line. We always say this, but to see this in action really does give one pause.
  • Blogging works. Because I publish stuff on a regular basis, it gets out there and enjoyed rather than languishing in a virtual shoe-box-on-the-shelf. The same people who kvetch about how annoying people are on Facebook for publishing so many photos, are going to be the same people, years from now, who wish they had done the same.
  • I'm old. You know that concept of age being relative? When you're 7, one year is huge, when you're 70, the years just zip by? Well, apparently I'm of an age where photos from 2009 feel like they were taken last month. That's not good.

I also found two other potential sources of surprise content - a mini SD card from one of my old Sidekick devices and a 8 meg PCIMCIA card. Of course, I don't have a way to read either of these cards. But, I'm just curious enough that I might hop onto Amazon and buy an adapter to see if I can get a glimpse into these guys.

1 comment:

  1. Blogging does work; it is too bad everyone has their content tied up in various social networks.

    ReplyDelete