Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Georgeous and Easy -- Linux Running From a Thumb Drive

It seems like every few years I'm re-amazed at the ability to run Linux from a thumb drive. Mostly for the heck of it, I decided I'd give it yet another try. Needless to say, I'm still quite amazed.

It's now so drop dead simple, there's simply no reason *not* to have Linux box on a thumb drive. Here's what you do:

  • Plug your thumb drive into to your windows computer
  • Download and launch UNetbootin
  • Select Linux Mint
  • Select the correct drive letter at the bottom
  • Click OK
  • Wait...

When it's all done, pop the thumb drive into a laptop or computer that will boot off a thumb drive, and sit back and be amazed.

Two things really knocked my socks off here: First, how easy UNetbootin was to operate. What used to a bunch of arcane commands is now fully automated. You don't even have to download the version of linux you want to install, it'll do that for you.

Second, Linux Mint is gorgeous. It comes up with a polished looking desktop. The controls to connect up to my wireless network were exactly where Windows taught me they would be. Again, no arcane commands to run. Running Firefox just worked. Ssh and terminal, again, just work.

This isn't just a Linux distribution, it's a Linux distribution that non-techies can use.

Now that I've got a Linux box I can carry around in my pocket, I've got to think of a good use for it. Think the business center at the next hotel I stay at would mind if I booted into Linux? Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment