Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Lesson from The 440 sq. ft Garage House

I love stories like this: a guy takes a 440sq ft garage and turns it into a sweet little house.

Here's the before picture:

And here's the after:

The design is impressive to say the least.

What I love about these stories isn't just the massive make-over, it's the sense that cleverness can win out over conventional wisdom. More importantly, I think there's a natural pull to want more (a bigger house, bigger TV, more stuff, etc.) and stories like this remind me that maybe what I have, even if feels like less, can be perfect.

Another example: instead of pining after the latest Digital SLR camera for thousands of dollars, why not make your own camera that can do something remarkably, like capture a 6 month exposure. Resist the pull.

Here's more on the very cool garage house:

No comments:

Post a Comment