Monday, January 26, 2009

Washington DC Sites-To-See List

I just had a terrifically fun visit with the parents and Grandpa, and had the same realization I always have when folks visit: there's so much in DC to see, yet, when they arrive, I never seem to have any fresh ideas to offer them.

So, now, I'm going to start planning ahead. I'm going to use this blog post to catalog sites in and around DC that I'd like to eventually see. When folks come to visit, we can check out this list for ideas. When I hear about new things, I can add it to the list. (Like how I say the past few sentences like I'm actually going to live up to this? Hope so.)

This page will be like my a gift wishlist, only for places to see.

Oh, and won't you help me out by putting up your own suggestions? The more obscure and wacky, the better! Remember, you could be the next visitor to the Simon household, and you wouldn't want to be stuck just driving around and looking at the same old monuments.

Always Enjoyable Stuff To Do

Stuff Yet To Be Done

OK, this list is woefully incomplete. Please, what can you suggest as a must do in DC that I should add to it?

6 comments:

  1. Well, you can't visit the Kryptos sculpture at the CIA, but you can visit the Zola Spy Restaurant, which was partially designed by the same artist and is rumored to be related to Kryptos. Zola, by the way, is next door to the Spy Museum. While you're at it, go see Kryptos' sister sculpture, Antipodes, at the Hirshhorn Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:18 AM

    I lived with you for how long? We never hit the draft house which is a shame. We'll have to do that one weekend. Anyway, look what happened to their MD location http://www.montgomerydrafthouse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luther -

    That's too bad that you can't check out Kryptos. But, thanks so much for sharing - I'll have to visit the Spy Museum again and check out Zola!

    Any other crypto sites around?

    -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:41 PM

    If you like museums, try the Phillips Collection. http://www.phillipscollection.org/ It's focused on impressionist and modern art. There are some really important pieces by the likes of Renoir and Rothko, and it's in a huge, old DC rowhouse. Private, so it's not free to get in, but I found the tour to be very informative.

    Always fun: paddle boats at the Tidal Basin, walking the Georgetown waterfront, people-watching at Dupont Circle, Eastern Market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerseygirl77 -

    Thanks for the suggestions, they'll really come in handy!

    -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Hayden for all the stupendous ideas!

    -Ben

    ReplyDelete