Wednesday, June 27, 2007

T-Shirt Design Hack

Let's say you have to design a t-shirt. And let's say you aren't a designer. What do you do? Well, if you're clever you create a t-shirt that the wearer designs so you don't have to:

I was asked to design a t-shirt for my country.

This presented me with two problems because, first, I am not a good designer and, second, I don't have a country to support.

So I decided to design a t-shirt that encourages the wearers of the t-shirt to design what goes on the t-shirt and also allows them to decide which country to support (or perhaps *not* to support). This is an approach that I have always been interested in: how to design systems that are open enough to allow for other people's designs yet specific enough to provide an intriguing starting point (it's always difficult to design on a completely blank canvas).

So the point of this t-shirt is that YOU, the wearer, have to design it before you wear it. You can draw directly on to the pixel array to create your own designs....

Brilliant! Not only is the concept cool, but the creator sidestepped majority of the design issues.

I wonder what other areas this approach can be applied to?

Via: LifeClever

No comments:

Post a Comment