Friday, March 30, 2007

More than I bargained for

On my way in to work I stopped at a new dermatologist to get a small mole checked on my arm. You would think this would be a simple task, but I had no idea what they would put me through.

First, this is a new doctor's office. So, first I had to sign over my identity to them (and my wife's and a friend - Mom, I chose you). Then I needed to fill out the history form, which they will no doubt ask me all again.

Fine, got it.

They then called my name.

The nurse took me into the exam room and took my vitals. Fair enough. Then she asked me to get undressed.

Excuse me? The mole is on my arm, can I just role up my sleeve? The nurse explained that the Dr. always does a full body scan before treating a patient.

I don't know about you, but I find the phrase "full body scan" to be anything but a good one. I would expect TSA to give a suspected terrrorist a "full body scan." Me, I was just hoping for a quick spot check.

OK, undressed it is.

I humbly asked, "do I get a gown?" I guess I was instantly transported back to the pediatric days of physicals and that open backed garment that was part of the routine.

The nurse's response: "Do you really want a gown? We usually give females gowns."

"Oh, I said. In that case, I won't need one."

But really, I was thinking - what the heck does that have to do with my question? The last thing I want is as much privacy as you give a chick. Whew, that was a close one.

So, now I'm sitting in my scivvy's waiting for this full body scan to begin.

Wish me luck. I think I need it.

--Ben

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I was subjected to the same when I went to a dermatologist for the first time. Well, except for the "don't be a girly-man" part. They gave me a gown. This was actually the subject of a discussion on Elliot In The Morning one day last year. Apparently, it's a common practice. A couple people complained about doctors getting a little too frisky with their "scan", though. So consider yourself lucky (or deprived, depending on how you look at it. hehe).

    ReplyDelete