Monday, February 26, 2007

Webcam'ing First

OK, I'm about 5 years late (maybe 10?) on this technology - but still, I couldn't resist sharing my latest tech first.

Shira does enough traveling that I thought it would be a cool gift to get us a set of webcams for her birthday. Ya know, so I can wave good night to her as she's suffering in some crummy location.

Well, tonight, we got to field test the cameras for the first time. And I have to say, this whole webcam stuff is really cool! Sure, the quality stinks, but the whole idea that you can have a free audio and video feed from anywhere in the world is just amazing.

Our setup consisted of a pair of Logitch Quickcam for Notebook cameras and Skype on Windows.

The whole experience was painless to setup and really easy to use.

There are tons of cameras to choose from on Amazon, ranging from $15 up to hundreds. I settled on the Logitech Quickcam model because it was compact for traveling, conveniently clipped to our laptop screens and was cheap at only $30 a camera. I don't know how the quality compares to other devices in that price range, but my guess is that they are all the same.

If you don't do the webcam thing with family and friends, you really have no excuse. The devices are cheap, and setting them up is a total breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment