Thursday, January 18, 2007

National Airport At Night - First Attempt

On my way out for a run tonight, I grabbed my camera and mini tripod, thinking I might snap some photos if the opportunity arose.

As I started off on my run, I decided to run by National Airport to see if I could snap some night photos of planes landing. The shots I ended up with, can be found here.

Here are some of the better'ish shots:

From DCA Airport At Night
From DCA Airport At Night
From DCA Airport A...

Overall, it was an interesting experiment, but I'm not really happy with the results. I guess it was an OK first try, if nothing else, to get the lay of the land.

It's definitely not Tokyo skyline at night quality, but hey, what do you want? I all I had with me with a Canon SD630 and a Gorillapod (both items I could run with and not notice I was carrying).

Better luck next time, I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. Two things:

    1. I've got that pic of Tokyo as my desktop here at work. It is awesome.

    2. How do you like the Gorilla pod? Can it handle a DSLR? I need a tripod bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the Tokyo skyline rocks.

    I haven't had much use yet of the Gorillapod, but so far, like most people, I'm impressed. The thing is, though, I think it really works best with a lightweight camera. It can hold amazing poses, and attach to all sorts of random stuff, but I think asking it to hold up a DSLR is probably a bit much.

    On the other hand, the last time I used an SLR it was big heavy thing - so I could be off about both the weight of the DSLR and the Gorillapod's capabilities.

    For my tiny camera though, the Gorillapod is really remarkable.

    It's cheap enough too, that you could give it a shot without breaking the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the topic of Gorillapod and SLRs:

    Gorillapod SLR Zoom:

    Now SLR owners can share in the elegant, imminently practical beauty of the Original Gorillapod with its recently released big brother, the Gorillapod SLR Zoom!

    So, there you have it Gavin - there's an SLR version available now.

    ReplyDelete