Saturday, July 22, 2006

Pro Independence

Me, I'm pro independence. America should not attempt to reconcile with Britain, and instead should fight the good fight to be free and independent.

OK, so I'm a little late to the party on this one.

But I just listened to Thomas Paine's Common Sense, and he's pretty much sold me on this independence idea.

I got a bit historical on my last trip to the library and rented Common Sense, the pamphlet put out by Thomas Paine to motivate people to break ties with England.

I guess it worked.

The book I rented wasn't about Tom, or a commentary on his work, but the real deal. Just some guy reading the text of his work.

I was surprised how easy it was to follow and was only tripped up by a few expressions - all of which could be determined through context.

I'd recommend to anyone who wants to write in a persuasive manner that they give this book a listen.

A while back I heard Thomas Paine and others who published similar pamphlets compared to the bloggers of today. The analogy probably isn't far off. He had a strong point of view and wanted to be heard by a large audience. Most of all, he depended on the weight of his words and not his reputation (Common Sense was published anonymously) to get his message across.

I give Common Sense a 7/10 for being both educational and inspiring. Give it a listen, and down with the King!

--Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment