Wednesday, November 02, 2005

U2 -- Hear the feeling

A while back I went to a U2 concert. I grabbed some photos, but what I really wanted to try to do was to grab some audio. Just to share the mood with folks out in the world, as well as use it as an opportunity to learn a bit about how audio editing works.

So, while at the concert I used my trusty Mach 256 MP3 player to record some audio. The result was some ultra-lo-fi noise that you could almost call music. Almost.

Anyway, I pulled it off the MP3 player as .wav files. I then used sox to convert the files from an older format of .wav to a newer one. Finally, I brought the files into audacity to edit them.

I have no experience editing audio, but found audacity pretty intuitive. I figured out that I could lower the volume by changing the amplitude to a negative amount (Duh!), and even managed to add in fade-in/fade-out effects.

So, ladies and gentelmen, here is my first audio creation: LoFi: U2's With or Without You

Doesn't the concert sound fun? It sure was!

You can follow all my audio creations here.

No comments:

Post a Comment